ILIAS MARAGKOS | EYE CLINIC - EMMETROPIA
Dr Ilias Maragkos MBChB, CCT(UK)
Subspecialty: Medical Retina, Vitreo-Retinal Surgery, Trained in London
- Graduated from the General High School of Pylea in Thessaloniki with Excellence.
- He studied at the "Ivan Pavlov" Medical School in Plovdiv, where he graduated in March 2000 with a degree: Excellent.
- His tenure as an Rural Doctor was at the Regional Medical Center in Vlasti and at the Siatista Health Center where he actively participated in on-call and ongoing training of physicians locally.
- His training in Ophthalmology started at the Komotini's General Hospital "Sismanoglio" and, for three years from 2006 to 2009, he was distinguished for his ability to perform cataract surgery and cover the emergency on-call rota.
- During that period and after the doctor elections, he was honored by his colleagues as the Specialist Representative in the Hospital, actively participating in the Scientific Council of the "Sismanoglio" Hospital with the aim of to improve the services offered to patients, the working conditions of physicians and their continuing training.
- In 2010, he continued his specialty in Ophthalmology, in a paid position, as a Specialty Doctor in the Department of OculoPlastics under the supervision of Dr Hugo Henderson (Head of the Ophthalmology Department) at the Whittington Health NHS Trust .
- Since 2011, he has served as a Clinical Fellow at the Department of Retinal and Diabetic Retinopathy at the Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust University Clinic in collaboration with Dr Claire Davey (Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. Head Diabetic Retinopathy Screener).
- In 2013 he appointed as the Senior Clinical Fellow, in a permanent paid position, atthe Department of Retinal and Macular Surgery of the Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust University Clinic under the supervision of Dr. Riaz Asaria (Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Head of the research program at the Royal Free Hospital).
- Since February 2014, he is officially registered with the British General Medical Council (G.M.C.) in the Specialist Registry (Ophthalmologists).
- In North Londonhe was a member of the Ophthalmology Team actively covering hospital emergencies: Barnet Hospital (London, UK), University College Hospital (London, UK), Edgware Community Hospital (London, UK) with experience in eye trauma and surgery .
- From April 2016 and for two (2) years, he became a Consultant in the Department of Retinal and Macular Surgery at the Imperial Healthcare Institute in Dubai.
- During 2018 he returned to Greece and from then onwards works at the Emmetropia Eye Clinic in Heraklion, Crete with an emphasis on retinal diseases and macular degeneration.
- He has performed more than 2000 retinal, macular and cataract surgery using advanced technologies and techniques.
- He has been a guest speaker and presented his work in numerous conferences in Greece and internationally.
- During the period 2016-2018 he participated in Charitable Missions in Iraq with the aim of rehabilitation and treatment of retinal diseases for vulnerable groups of the population of these areas.
- His research includes, numerous Phase 3 (Phase 3 - Human ) formal investigations into the treatment of diseases such as Macula Degeneration, Retinal Vein obstruction, and Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Languages: Greek(native), English (fluent), Bulgarian (fluent)