WHY EMMETROPIA | EYE CLINIC - EMMETROPIA
For your eyes only
Since 2005 when it was established, Emmetropia is a reference center in the field of ophthalmology providing diagnosis and recovery to vision problems through its well-trained personnel and the use of state-of-the-art equipment.
Emmetropia has the following unique characteristics:
- Emmetropia is the only ophthalmology clinic in Crete that was certified as an One Day Clinic (O.D.C.) in the field of ophthalmology in 2011
- Emmetropia was the first private ophthalmology center in Greece to obtain the ISO 9001 for the quality of its services in 2006
- Emmetropia was 1 of the 5 centers in the world involved in the development of the world's most reputable refractive laser platform, the German Schwind Amaris in 2007
- All Surface Laser Ablation (ASLA): A worldwide innovative eye laser technology for myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism, with minimal risk for the cornea and clearly less overall treatment time. A technique developed in Emmetropia by Dr. Aslanidis since 2009
- In 2006, the first successful surgery of corneal crosslinking was performed in Emmetropia (for the first time in Crete) on a patient suffering from progressive keratoconus
- Emmetropia is one of the few centers in the world that, since 2018, in collaboration with the Medical University of Wenzhou (China) is mapping the DNA abnormalities in keratoconic patients aiming on future genetic treatment
- The founder and medical director of Emmetropia, Dr Ioannis Aslanides, is the only Greek ophthalmologist, currently, who has been unanimously elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists of the United Kingdom
- Dr Ioannis Aslanides is a founding member and, since 2018, the elected president of the Hellenic College of Ophthalmology (H.C.O.)
- Dr Ioannis Aslanides is member of the Scientific Committee of the Hellenic Olympic Committee
- The scientific team of Emmetropia is actively involved in more than 300 original publications, scientific articles, book chapters, presentations at European or global level and announcements at international clinical or research conferences and workshops
- A large number (more than 30) of local and foreign refractive surgeons (fellows) from around the world (United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, India, China) have been involved in Emmetropia as our clinic is considered a model reference center for refractive surgery worldwide
- Emmetropia has played a key role in the production of original (new) scientific knowledge with numerous research studies on the evolution of the medical laser industry and the imaging systems in ophthalmology
- Dr Ioannis Aslanides participated in the basic training at the School of Aeromedicine of the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority. Later, he completed his specialization on Aeromedicine at the European School of Aeromedicine, at the Lufthansa headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany. Dr Aslanides has been certified by the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority as AME-1 (number 10033) and is an authorized physician for pilots and cabin crew members of the Civil Aviation as well as a special advisor to the Civil Aviation in matters of Ophthalmology
Services of Emmetropia
In Emmetropia, we provide services that cover the full spectrum of ophthalmological problems while also we can perform in our premises the appropriate interventions for the treatment of various ophthalmic diseases. Indicatively, our services include:
- Refraction and Visual Acuity test
- Examination of the anterior chamber of the eye (Biomicroscopy)
- Examination of the Eyelids, the Conjunctiva, the Cornea and the Crystalline Lesn (Cataract)
- IntraOcular Pressure (IOP) measurement
- Examination of the posterior chamber of the eye (Fundoscopy)
- Examination of the Macula, the Optic Nerve and the Retina
- Refractive surgery pre-assessment
- Cataract surgery pre-assessment
- Keratoconus treatment pre-assessment
- Corneal topography and tomography
- Visual Fields
- Ophthalmic ultrasound
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Refractive surgeries (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism)
- Keratoconus treatment
- Cataract surgery (using monofocal, toric-astigmatic and multifocal intraoculars lenses according to the needs of the patient))
- Glaucoma management and surgery
- Posterior chamber conditions (retinal detachment, epiretinal membrane, vitreous bleed etc.)
- Intravitreal injections for treating age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusions
- There is a special department of oculoplastics
Emmetropia is actively involved in research projects and programs in collaboration with Universities, Research Centers and companies from around the world.
Indicatively, in the following list there are some of the institutions with which we are, or have been, cooperating with:
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, U.K.
- Harvard University, U.S.A.
- Medical University of Wenzhou, China
- Max- Planck Institute, Mainz, Germany
- Foundation for Research and Technology, Greece
- University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Jules Gonin Eye Hospital, Switzerland
- City University of London, U.K.
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, Wales, U.K.
- University of South Wales, Wales, U.K.
- University of Edinburgh, U.K.
- Hellenic Mediterranean University (former Τ.Ε.Ι. of Crete), Greece
- University of Crete, Greece
To watch a brief video with the state-of-the-art equipment of Emmetropia please press here.